HEALTH & SAFETY
‘Service to Humanity’ is our motto. We can only serve humanity properly if we take great care of how we deliver our services. This starts with a culture of safety throughout our business environment, for our staff, for our clients, and for the public, but especially for the construction projects themselves, which typically present the greatest risks.
We methodically evaluate and eliminate risks wherever possible, and where risks can’t be eliminated they are minimized to within commonly accepted levels.
We have a dedicated Health & Safety (H&S) team, whose role is to educate all our staff in safe working practices and ensure that our H&S procedures are adhered to. To ensure H&S policy and culture are effectively implemented throughout the business the Board of Directors have committed to, and invested in:
- An accredited H&S Policy and its effective communication to all staff.
- Systematic planning (for implementing the policy and training)
- Performance management of staff in respect of H&S
- Auditing and review of wider H&S performance
- Identify specific objectives to monitor and reduce H&S incident frequencies.
In a construction environment, after making the place and method of work safe, the Project Management team is still faced with dangers caused by human factors. It is recognized that most accidents occur as a result of human failings, both individually and collectively. At MACE we have adopted the following approaches to further improve our H&S performance:
Selection of workers for roles based on:
- Educational and technical knowledge
- Practical experience
- Medical fitness
Systems and procedures of work including
- Permit to dig system
- Permit to work system
- Safe working code of practice
- Documented hazard control measures
Training and safety education to ensure all staff understand the following as applicable:
- MACE safety policy/rules and procedures
- Hazards on site
- Safe working techniques, and
- Accident reporting